Customer Service Week runs from October 2-6 this year. In celebration of the people and practices that serve customers’ needs, 2023 has been a banner year for customer experience. Customer experience continues to climb its way up to the board room, as more senior leaders understand experience is the only way to differentiate your brand. Service is one piece of the entire customer experience pie, but it’s an important one.
We see new technologies in customer service but also constant changes in consumers’ expectations. Fulfilling these expectations can enhance the customer experience, while missing the mark can mean losing customers to other businesses.
Customers’ expectations constantly change in parallel with changes in technology. And because it’s so quick and easy to contact anyone these days, consumers want to see the same reflected in their customer service experiences.
- 66% of businesses leader’s believe chatbots are able to help customers reach the right channels. Zendesk
- 36% of customers still prefer to wait to interact with a real person. (Yaguara)
- 2/3 of US online adults believe valuing their time is the most important thing a brand can do to provide them with a good customer experience. (Khoros)
- 90% of business leaders and managers acknowledge that their organizations will have to make changes to support conversational customer service. Zendesk
- 79% of customers say they expect to have a self-service option (customerfirstacademy.com)
- 73% of brands expect the number of inbound channels for agents to increase in the next one to two years, and 53% also believe the same for outbound channels. (Khoros)
- 90% of CEOs believe customers have the greatest impact on their business. (pwc.co.uk)
- 76% of customer service executives are planning to invest in AI technologies for automating customer service and contact center operations (AIMultiple)
- According to Forrester’s 2023 survey data, the percentage of CMO dashboards that include a customer health score has increased to 17% — a 55% year-over-year increase. (Forrester)
- Emplifi Reveals Nearly 90% of Consumers Say Customer Ratings and Reviews Have the Biggest Impact on Purchasing Decisions
- Forrester’s 2022 data indicates that 58% of online adults in metro China said that they trust the content that brands post on social media, compared with just 20% in the US. (Forrester)
- 87% of consumers said that real-life customer reviews/ratings have a greater impact on purchasing decisions compared to influencer/celebrity reviews (50%). Emplifi
- Only 64% of CX leaders expect a boost in their budgets for CX initiatives in 2024 — down from 82% last year; 16% expect to spend less overall than this year. (Forrester)
- 86% of US technology decision-makers in data-related functions anticipate their organization’s investment in AI capabilities will increase into the first half of 2024. (Forrester)
- The average consumer is spending 18 minutes every time they engage with customer service. This high level of perceived effort is dragging down customer satisfaction and customer loyalty. (JD Power)
- 63% of service and support leaders say improving their operations is among their most important goals for 2023. As customer expectations continue to rise and simple issues are resolved with self-service, service leaders need to ensure their service and support functions remain flexible to customer needs. (Gartner)
- 71% of B2C and 86% of B2B customers expect companies to be well informed about their personal information during an interaction. (Gartner)
- 97% of consumers and 98% of contact center managers say customer service interactions impact whether consumers stay loyal to a brand. (Calabrio)
- 70% of brands see a direct connection between customer service and performance. (Zendesk)
- 95% of consumers say customer service impacts their brand loyalty, naming easy access, self-service, and professional agents as important factors. (NICE)
These 20 stats for customer service in 2023 let us know the current state of CS and the direction it’s heading in the future. They have a huge impact on the industry, so if you want to keep your customers having great experiences, it’s time to get on top of these trends fast!
Blake Morgan is a customer experience futurist and the bestselling author of The Customer of the Future. For regular updates on customer experience, sign up for her weekly newsletter here.